Saturday, January 14, 2006

That's the Noble Animal

Wednesday morning:


Yasmina, left, with Nadim, right.
Nadim belongs to a nearby relative of my host family.


Masud, a neighbor's sheep.


Wednesday Evening:


Yasmina, center
Tafaya, a preparation with caramelized onions, raisin, and cinnamon, is traditionally served on the evening of Eid. Moroccan dishes such as couscouses (casaacis is the proper plural form) and tajines traditionally conceal the meat in a mound in the center of the dish.

Thursday afternoon:


Yasmina, center (Unknown, left, Nadim, right)


Yasmina left, center, right

Friday afternoon:


From left: Masud, unknown, Yasmina (in covered dish at edge)
As part of Eid, neighbors take each other dishes of the meals that they have prepared, sharing the meat from the sheep that they have sacrificed.

Saturday afternoon:


Pizza: tomato sauce, cheese (very little: cheese here is relatively expensive and it doesn't get piled on pizza in the say that it does Stateside), green peppers. Delicious.


Yasmina, potatoes.

This afternoon, a neighbor from across the street (from my apartment, not across the street from my host family's house in the Oudaya casbah, where I went for Eid), brought us over a plate of couscous.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me laugh so hard that I cried.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you named the lamb a permutation of my middle name... mmm...lamb.... I made broiled lamb chops last night.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home