Friday, May 04, 2007

Sights, Sounds, Smells

So, Semana Santa was, what? A month ago?
I got really sick, and missed a bunch of the few processions that happened, but on the last two days I rallied, and it didn't rain, and I saw processions. And at some point, I not-so-dutifully posted some imaged from said processions to flickr.

Anyhoo, I'm in Morocco for now, where today I had delicious delicious couscous for lunch, and I tried to read some handwritten seventeenth-century stuff, and yesterday I walked around the old neighborhood, and I had an avocado juice.

There is one smell that I smelled, though, that I would always go out of my way to avoid when I lived here, and that caught me off guard last night: the snail soup cart. Blech. I had escargot in France once, and then we had them in Spain not that long ago, and I'm sure I've had them on another occasion, but the snails that the cart sells are, as far as I can tell, maybe sea snails? And then they're just boiled and boiled and peppered and people drink them out of bowls; they don't just eat the snails, they drink the broth that the snails make, and to me it smells not unlike wet dog mixed with mildewy bathroom.

2 Comments:

Blogger K. said...

girl,

the old neighborhood...ah!

you're killing me.

i MISS you, and our life together.

-kristen

6:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i always thought they were sea snails too, but after inquiring, i was told they're your regular, garden variety, moroccan snail, a fact which, made it even more disturbing (although it makes sense too cuz they eat those smeel things all over) since i immediately imagined these snail "farms". where could they raise themin such numbers? or do they just pick them in the wild? i imagine something mmore sinister.

4:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home